Today my creative juices inspired me to bake something out of cantaloupe.
Every summer I enjoy this sweet melon. I eat it cut fresh, in salads or in smoothies. It’s a refreshing flavor, but I have never baked with it.
I decided to try making a sweet bread with it. You know, like banana bread. I didn’t want to use the same recipe as banana bread and just switch out the banana and use cantaloupe. That just didn’t seem right. Cantaloupe has its own sweet flavor and I didn’t want it to taste just like banana bread – except it has cantaloupe in it. So I revised a couple recipes for the cantaloupe.
Instead of making a loaf of bread, I like to make mini-muffins or mini-cupcakes. Everyone loves popping a mini-muffin in their mouth on the way out the door. And they’re easy and fun to pack in a lunch.
Here’s the recipe I used and baked at high altitude.
- 2 cups very ripe cantaloupe puree
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour a mini-cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, coconut oil, vanilla and the cantaloupe puree.
- In a separate bowl, sift flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and pumpkin spice together.
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Add the walnuts and stir until mixed through.
- Spoon into mini-cupcake pan filling about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Or if you don’t like putting your arm in a hot oven try this trick.
Use a piece of spaghetti instead of a toothpick. It’s longer and you won’t have to reach into the oven as far. And you won’t have to throw it away like the toothpick. Keep the spaghetti and cook it later!
- Makes about 60 mini-cupcakes.
These come out moist and yummy, with a delicate flavor. I hope you enjoy this recipe.